Nielsen: The U.S. Device Media Universe
February 12, 2014 -- Nielsen's snapshot of the U.S. Device Media Universe 2013 provides an overview of U.S. device usage and audiences--from mobile phones to tablets to television.
- In 2013, Americans on average own four digital devices.
- When looking at the average American household, HDTVs (83%), Internet-connected computers (80%) and smartphones(65%) are in a majority of households.
- There is a near majority ownership for digital video recorders (49%) and gaming consoles (46%).
- American consumers are connected with screens throughout the day and engage with media content for more than 60 hours per week.
- TV remains at the center of consumer media consumption. However, increases in time-shifted viewing and streaming video through a PC or smartphone show that consumers are increasingly comfortable accessing content whenever and wherever they want.
Source: Nielsen, The Digital Consumer, February 2014